Renew or Maintain your Certification
Rapid changes in technology and products have also changed the methods used in servicing them. By renewing your ETA certification, you provide verification that as a certified technician, you are keeping up with current technology and enhancing your abilities and knowledge.
Maintenance Renewal Process:
There are a number of ways to acquire continuing education credits, including:
Associate CET and EM5 Modules Renewals
The adopted renewal policy of the EM5 modules is as follows:
1. The renewable term of the Associate CET and EM5 modules will now be four years
2. During that time an individual will obtain continuing education credits totaling ten hours per year for a total of 40 hrs over the term of the certification or will provide employer verification that they continue to work in electronics. That combined with the updating of contact information will constitute renewal for the the Associate CET and EM modules.
3. The processing fee for the certification maintenance will be $25 per year and an ETA membership will be included with the certification maintenance.
4. If the four year term for the Associate CET and EM5 modules is exceeded without renewal by certification maintenance, and the certification expires, then the individual will be required to retake the current version of the examination and will then again be eligible for the certification maintenance.
Fiber Optics, Data Cabling, Renewable Energy, & B-VoIP Renewals
Methods to Qualify for Renewal:
1. If you have been working in the industry that pertains to your certification, then you will need to have your supervisor complete the Employer Verification Form and show proof you have received 24 hours of continuing education or retest to renew your certification.
2. If you have not been working in the industry that pertains to your certification since you obtained the certification, then you will be required to attend an ETA approved hands-on refresher course and show proof of 24 hours continuing education or retest to renew your certification.
*Renewal letters are sent out to certification holders 6 months prior to expiration and should be renewed within that time period. ETA will grant a 90-day grace period from the date of expiration to allow those actively employed to renew their certifications without retesting. After the 90-days, they will be required to retake the hands-on course as well as retest.
What Type of Training Counts?
ETA's Approved Schools provide the training classes or courses that qualify an individual for their original certification. Look to these quality training providers if you require an exam for certification. These schools will also provide refresher courses to those who have not remained active to bring their knowledge and hands-on skills up to today's standards. Successful completion of training and continuing education can be validated by listing the course topic, location, date and sponsor. You should send any continuing education credits, registration lists, transcripts, graduation certificates, college credit copies or affidavits affirming successful participation at training sessions directly to ETA at the time that their renewal is due.
Full Credit: In addition to credit hours for classes taken at any of ETA's Approved Schools, full credit will be given for continuing credit hours taken under BICSI's RCDD (Registered Communications Distribution Designer) program.
Partial Credit: Some types of classes may not contain sufficient material to qualify for full credit although the material has value. ETA will give a lesser credit for these classes, subject to evaluation.
Printable Fiber, Cabling, Renewable Energy & B-VoIP Renewal Form
If an individual has been working in the aerospace fiber optic industry as a fiber optic installer, fabricator, quality assurance, or technician since obtaining certification and can provide written documentation from the employer(s), a recertification exam is required.
If an individual has been working in the aerospace fiber optic industry as an (AFI) fiber optic installer, (AFF) fabricator, quality assurance, or (AFT) technician since obtaining certification and have received 8 or more classroom hours of additional aerospace fiber optic training, only the submission of a recertification application is required. Written documentation from the employer(s) and written documentation for additional training must be included with the re-certification application.
If an individual has not been working in the aerospace fiber optic industry as a fiber optic installer, fabricator, quality assurance, or technician since obtaining certification, the individual will be required to attend an approved aerospace fiber optic course to re-certify.
SAE Aerospace Fiber Optic Renewal
All persons performing the job defined by their certification for at least 60% of a full-time employee work year will renew their certification annually through the submission of a proficiency verification affidavit. Proficiency verification affidavits will be completed by the employer and submitted to the ETA for renewal.
All certifications will be good for one year from the date of the knowledge and hands-on examinations. All persons not performing the job defined by their certification for at least 60% of a full-time employee work year must re-certify. Persons failing the re-certification practical evaluation must complete certification training as defined in section 6.3.
Printable SAE Renewal Form
The Importance of updating your certification records
In order to comply with ISO 17024 standards, ETA must be able to prove that it can locate and verify the status of each certificate’s holder. Many ETA certified technicians have changed addresses, jobs or locations over the years. ETA requests that you regularly update your contact information, experience and education at least annually. With updated information, ETA can ensure that all ETA certified professionals will receive notification of any changes or updates to the CET program that might affect your certification status. Recertification also helps to keep those records up-to-date.
ETA can also provide CET credentials, replacement wall certificates, plaques or wallet cards for a nominal fee.