ETA International shall commit to acting impartially in relation to its applicants, candidates, and certified persons. Certification decisions shall be made in accordance with policies and procedures. Policies and procedures affecting applicants, candidates, and certified persons shall be made public and shall fairly and accurately convey information about the certification program.
ETA International shall understand threats to impartiality that include, but are not limited to, self-interest, activities from related bodies, relationships of personnel, financial interests, favoritism, conflict of interest, familiarity, and intimidation.
ETA International shall periodically conduct a threat analysis to determine the potential, both real and perceived, of an individual or an organization to influence certification.
Taking an ETA Examination
Decide which ETA certification(s) you would like to take and review the free objectives/competencies provided by ETA. ETA offers a certification competency for each exam, which is a well-ordered categorized structural listing of knowledge, standards reference, industry best practices, testing, and troubleshooting subject items necessary to be proficient in a given technology. Certification examination questions are derived from their respective competencies. Examinees are encouraged to use the additional suggested study materials listed at the end of each competency if needed to help supplement their learning.Call to see if additional study materials are available.
ETA also publishes two books in-house for the popular Associate CET (CETa) basic electronics and Customer Service Specialist (CSS) workforce readiness certifications. Each of these study guides are written by industry professionals, and feature chapter quizzes and practice exams. ETA members receive a discount on the ETA study guides. Bulk discounts are also available.
- Find an ETA certification administrator (CA) close to you to proctor the exam. You can search ETA’s online database of test sites at www.eta-i.org/test_sites.html, or contact ETA at (765) 653-8262.
- Decide whether to take the exam online with Trapeza or paper/pencil. Note: A certification administrator must be present regardless of which test format is chosen.
- Arrange a time to take the exam with the chosen certification administrator.
- Arrive early with the proper materials to take the exam. You may bring scratch paper and a non-programmable calculator to the exam. For most exams, you will be given two hours if needed. Photo ID and #2 pencils required. No electronic devices are permitted.
- Once completed, the certification administrator will submit your exam and information along with payment. If you test online with ETA, then you will be able to view your score(s) immediately.
- Examinations are processed within 7-10 business days of arrival at ETA headquarters. However, scores may be requested online through the ETA website (www.eta-i.org/exam_results.html).
As provided for under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), if you require special accommodations in order to complete the certification process, then please notify your Certification Administrator when scheduling your exam.
ETA-Approved Training Organizations
Some ETA certification exams require Hands-On testing prior to taking the exam. Please refer to the applicable exam's information box to see if you are required to take a Hands-On exam.
Below are the current ETA-approved training organizations. The USA and USA Military tables are organized by alphabetically by USA state/territory while the Outside USA list is organized alphabetically by country. Please choose the links at the bottom of the table to select the USA, USA Military, or Outside USA course approval list.
Other Training Options
ETA works with many other outside training organizations and schools that do not have a course approval for ETA Hands-On certifications. Some of the above ETA-approved schools have a course approval for one or more certifications, but might offer additional training courses that are not approved. You can find a list here of those schools and companies that have sent in a description. Please check their websites for more information and training options.